Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Mr. Independent


Calvin has decided in the past couple days that he can feed himself now.

I usually let him feed himself when it comes to finger foods, but I always controlled the spoon when giving him rice cereal, yogurt, or something mushy like that. Then lately it started to be a battle between us and Calvin would try and grab the spoon from me. When I let him have it (because otherwise he got really upset) I told him, "Okay, put the spoon in the bowl and get some cereal." And he did! It's the cutest (and messiest) thing ever. He now needs a complete wipe down or bath two or three times a day.


My favorite part is most times he puts the opposite side of the spoon into the bowl and eats from that. I guess it's easier for him to hold the spoon that way! :0)

We also buy these rice puffs for him (which he LOVES) and usually I pour some into my hand so he can grab them and put them in his mouth. Now he grabs them from my hand, puts them back into the container, and reaches in and grabs his own puffs.

It makes me really happy to see Calvin growing up and becoming more independent. Even though it's kind of sad he's not a little baby anymore, it's really rewarding to see new milestones he's achieving.

4 comments:

Anni Winings said...

Eliza does the same thing! She will put any puffs back that I got out, then reach into the container and pull them out herself. And she likes to feed herself whenever I let her - though she doesn't put up as much fuss if I refuse to give her the spoon. It's fun to see Calvin doing some of the same things Eliza is.

Sarah said...

I would do two spoons, sometimes three. One for him, one for me. It is exciting when they start to feed themself though. The fun is just starting...

Heather Melo said...

Amazing!

Heindogs said...

awe how sweet! I can't believe how big he is! The two spoon idea is a good one!