Thursday, October 7, 2010

We're Back!

We're back! First news of the blog post is that we moved! We decided that we wanted to find a place to rent that had a yard (yes, we are still renting and cannot afford to buy a home in Mountain View unless someone has an extra $500-600k dollars they would like to give us...). We found a place just half a block outside our church ward boundaries :( but we are paying the same amount in rent (or even a little less) and we have a small fenced-in yard, lots of storage, and a huge walk-in kitchen pantry which makes me joyful. We are also finally living on ground level in our almost 5 years of marriage! No more anxiety when Calvin runs around the room fearful of annoying the neighbors below us! I must confess I did a little happy dance (interpret: stomping) when we moved in. :0) We still only have two bedrooms-one bath, but we will take what we can get.

I am enjoying being a mommy to two children, although it is a lot of work and it's hard when you haven't slept well the night previously. I am learning how to pick my battles--which are many when you are with a two-year-old all day. I must say, though, Calvin is the BEST at going to sleep at night. He never ever cries and he just goes right to sleep when we put him in his crib and we don't hear from him until 6:30 or so the next morning. He only cries during the night if he's thirsty (which is rare). It's amazing and I know it's not normal. I doubt we did any special parenting techniques--this is just how Calvin is. Here's hoping Levi follows in his footsteps!

Trevor is enjoying work and though he can't talk about specifically what he is working on, just know that he is enjoying it.

Calvin is getting bigger and more like a toddler every day it seems. He loves to count and can count to twenty. He loves to sing and now tries to sing with us. One day he just chimed in to "I'm a Child of God" and it shocked me that he new most of the words. I guess it shouldn't surprise me because we sing it a lot, but it was so neat to hear him sing it with me. Some of his favorite songs right now are:

ABC's
Happy Birthday Song
Mickey Mouse Club (The old version)
I Am a Child of God
Jesus Wants me for a Sunbeam
I Am Like a Star
Five Little Monkeys
Wind the Bobbin Up
And the ever famous "Buzz Lightyear song" (don't know what this is, but he always asks to sing it. He's a little obsessed with Buzz right now. I either make up a song about Buzz or we sing "You Got a Friend in Me")

I tried to teach him the quadratic formula song, but he didn't see the joy in learning that. I guess I'll wait till he's three. ;)

His speech is also getting better. He no longer says "Lie-lie" or "Lee-Lie" for Levi which kind of makes me sad because it was cute to hear. He asks me all the time, "What are you doing?" "Where did daddy go?", and his favorite saying is "To Infinity and BEYOND!!!" He is also starting to enjoy reading books more which makes happy.

Levi is now seven months old today! I can't believe how much faster this time has gone by than when Calvin was this age. He still isn't sleeping through the night which can be rough on me during the day. Yet he is a happy and sweet boy and I shouldn't complain. He loves to eat paper and tries to grab it whenever he can. He also loves it when his older brother pays attention to him.





Calvin going to work just like daddy!

Apparently he couldn't wait till dinner!


8 comments:

Jen said...

That is exciting you have a yard! You will love that freedom! Cute pictures!

Gramma Marty said...

Wow!!! When it rains it pours! 3 blog updates in one day. I'm in heaven! And I get to see my 2 little big eyed boys one week from tomorrow when they stay at my house on their way to Disneyland!!! Hooray! I loved all the news and pictures and I love Trevor, Lindsay, Calvin, and Levi!!

Rachel and Vico said...

Your kids are so beautiful!!!!! Levi is about the same age as our daughter. Have you read "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child?" It's been really helpful for me.

Kathryn said...

I LOVE the quadratic formula song (or the version I learned). I've been singing it in my head since you mentioned it - thanks! Maybe I'll try to teach it to some of my high functioning kids :)

Thanks for the pictures!

Leah Florence said...

I am so glad you posted! i love all those cute pictures. Calvin seems to be just so happy and fun. Levi just has the sweetest little face.I am glad you guys are doing well and liking your new place. Congrats on that! We miss you and hopefully we'll get it together soon and make a trip so we can see you guys!

Lindsay said...

Hey Rachel! Sorry I didn't respond sooner to your question. I really believe that the reason Levi isn't sleeping well at night is because he doesn't sleep well during the day. It seems like his brother wakes him up or we have to run errands or something else that prevents him from getting at least two good naps.

It's just so much harder with two children because I would never leave the house if both my children got the amount of sleep they probably need.

It is getting a little better, but it's like two steps forward, one step back...

Lindsay said...

Sorry, I guess I didn't quite respond to your question... I haven't read the book, but it appears that he has a similar outlook. I will check it out from the library if it isn't getting better in the next month or so. Thanks for the suggestion! :0)

Sarah said...

I am glad you found a place with a yard. That will make a huge difference!