Sunday, January 23, 2011

Christmas and beyond!

I just thought this picture was funny...  Levi gets this scrunched up face when he gets frustrated about something. 



 Calvin figured out how to put headphones in his ears himself.  He certainly watches us closely! :0)

 Before Christmas, I wanted to decorate sugar cookies with Calvin.  He had a lot of fun doing it, though all he really wanted to do was eat the cookies.


Levi had fun playing with the rolling pin.

We went to both of our parents' homes for Christmas this year.  We spent one week with Grandma and Grandpa Black and then another week with Grandma and Grandpa Florence.  We realized that two weeks is a little too long for our children to be away from home.  Well, it didn't help we were sick the entire time.  The first week we were battling colds and the second week Calvin got the stomach flu.  We still tried to make the most of it, but I think we are done with driving long distances for a little while. :0)

Calvin and I went to see the Mesa Temple lights with the Skabelunds (Trevor stayed home because Levi was sick).  We had lots of fun although it was packed that night!  I always love looking at Christmas lights, and I'm glad Calvin got to experience it as well this year.

Here we are opening presents Christmas morning!  It's fun that Calvin is starting to understand things better and gets excited to open presents.





"Why won't Calvin share with me!"
 Calvin got a train set and he loves setting it up.  It was a good gift for him!

Yes, our son is eating the couch.  Typical.


 Everywhere I take the boys I get comments about Levi's big blue eyes (and Calvin's red hair).  Now you can see why. He's also teething which is why I have a big wet spot on my shirt.


We love going to Grandma and Grandpa's house for Christmas!

My parents had a cool sleeping bag/tent that Calvin slept in while we were there.  He loves sleeping in it.


We don't have many pictures from visiting Trevor's parents (I really need to be better about taking pictures...).  We still had lots of fun though.  We got to meet Mandy's awesome fiance, Richard.  They also had an awesome New Year's Eve party (I came in first place again!). Calvin and Levi both woke up right before midnight so we all celebrated the New Year together!

We also celebrated our five year wedding anniversary! We wanted to do something bigger this year to celebrate, but having a child that still nurses and another one sick it just wasn't going to work out.  We went to Lassen's Deli for lunch, saw Harry Potter 7, and went to the mall where Trevor tried on $180 Diesel jeans (didn't have any interest in buying them, just wanted to see how $180 jeans would look).  It was nice to be able to get away for a little while.  I love my best friend and am so glad we get to go through this life together.  Here's to many more happy years together!

Our drive back home was a nightmare.  Calvin was so sleep deprived from two weeks of not napping/sleeping as well in addition to being sick.  What should have been a 5 hour drive took us 8 hours due to traffic and having to stop to help our children.  I've never heard Calvin shriek so much.  Yes, I think we are done with longer car trips for a little while!

My mom gave us a gingerbread train kit which we put together when we got home.  Surprisingly, Calvin didn't eat any of the candy (if it was chocolate I'm sure it would not have survived)!  He really enjoyed putting it together.  Thanks for the kit mom!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed your visit with us. Sick kids and all! The gingerbread train looks good! Have you eaten it yet? Wonderful memories were made this Christmas! Thanks for your efforts in driving here, we do appreciate it.

Lindsay said...

While we had lots of fun putting the train together, I had no desire to eat it. The candy was just straight sugar and we didn't need any more treats after all we got from Christmas. Calvin didn't even know what he missed. :)

Jen said...

Looks like a fun Christmas! I loved all the pictures. I can relate to your car ride home. Benadryl and Dramamine were something we started using because of an experience like that. It DOES get better....

Lindsay said...

Funny you should mention that Jen. We actually did stop to get something to help Calvin sleep but Trevor accidentally bought pills instead of chewables. We didn't realize it until we back on the freeway (stuck in traffic). We just gave up after that.

Jen said...

Oh man! I'm sure that just added to the frustration of the day! I know there were times when we would keep saying, "Surely they will fall asleep any minute with how exhausted they must be from screaming so long..." Ü

Lindsay said...

Yeah, that's kind of what we were hoping for as well. Oh well, I just hope he isn't traumatized from the experience.