Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Stanford University

On Saturday we went and visited Leland Stanford Junior University (did you know that was the full name? I didn't before Saturday). We went on a guided tour of the campus and learned some interesting things about this university.

This was a cool tower on campus we saw.



Even Calvin had a good time (well... mostly). He had a hard time falling asleep that day.


I like how they kept the old style of architecture. Even though BYU was established around the same time, this campus felt much older.




When Leland Stanford died his wife built this non-denominational church in his honor. The artwork is all tile. We wanted to go inside, but after our tour was over the doors to the church were locked. :(


One of these things is not like the others!

Of course we had to see the computer science building. Too bad it wasn't open on Saturdays. It is the only building on campus that has beds and showers. Most likely because CS majors tend to pull the most "all-nighters." Also, all the walls in the building are "writeable" because Bill Gates knows the importance of writing down sudden inspiration before you forget it. This way you don't have to wait until you get to your room or office to write it down.

After we went to Stanford, we saw there was an IKEA close by so we decided to look around. This was Trevor's first time there. He felt like the design of the store was very well planned in order to maximize sales. All-in-all it was a good day!

3 comments:

GordonandChrissy said...

I had no idea that was the full name of the University. I guess I can actually LEARN some new things while I look at blogs in the morning. :)

That picture of your whole little family sitting down is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sending such cute pictures of Calvin! I can't wait to see him (and you). It sounds as if you had a fun weekend. See you in 10 days!!!

Sarah said...

That looks like a very cool campus!