Thursday, May 7, 2009

Update from the past month

Wow! It has been a long time since I've updated and I apologize. Things got a little hectic last month and blogging just wasn't a priority for me at the time.

Last Sunday Trevor's family had a combined birthday party for Olivia and Calvin. Olivia is six days older than Calvin. We had amazing Indian food, presents, and birthday cake!
Calvin kind of got the hang of opening presents. Well, not really, but Summer was a big help in showing him how to do it! He really likes the new toys he got and loves playing with them.

Olivia and Calvin!


Summer and Calvin.


Trevor and Summer.


Summer and Olivia.


Calvin looks like he's reading the paper in this picture. We thought it was pretty cute!


Heather asked me to make the birthday cake for Sunday's party. I thought it would be cute to have two bears (one for Olivia and one for Calvin). The alphabet blocks aren't edible, but I just thought they would look cute on the cake.

I was really pushed for time decorating this cake and I experimented doing an all-butter frosting instead of half butter and half shortening (I'm not a fan of shortening). The frosting was really soft and kind of hard to decorate with, but oh well! Live and learn. Definitely not my best work, but at least it turned out okay.

Our camera was full so we didn't get any more pictures (hopefully other siblings maybe did and will send them to us!) Calvin was really tired by this time as evident in the picture. He liked the frosting, but I think he was too tired to eat very much.



This was just a funny picture of Trevor. I'm just so proud of him for all the hard work he's done in school. He finished his classes in April and now he just has to finish his Thesis this Summer. He's working full-time in the Internet Security Lab at BYU until we leave Provo. Yesterday was his Thesis proposal and he passed! We are hoping he'll defend his Thesis the end of July, but who knows how long these things will really take.


Nothing better than a peacefully sleeping baby! :0)



Calvin has actually gotten a lot better at feeding himself (despite what's shown in this picture...).
He now prefers to always have a fork or spoon and tries to eat with them. Sometimes he gives up and uses his hands, but we are so proud of him the few times he actually gets the food on the fork or spoon and into his mouth. He is starting to eat more and more of what we have for dinner. It's so nice not having to prepare him a separate meal. It saves me a lot of time.

Just a cute picture of Calvin.


We decorated Easter eggs early April and invited one of Trevor's co-workers in the Internet Security lab over to our home to do it with us. He's from India and had never decorated Easter eggs before. It was fun to teach him some of the different things you can do. We mostly just had fun experimenting with the dye, scotch tape, and crayon.


Ha ha! This is what happens sometimes when Calvin is drinking a bottle of milk and he takes it out of his mouth and shakes it.

In other news I finished teaching for the semester! Hooray! I'm glad to be done even though it was a good experience for me and I really enjoyed teaching. People ask me if I'm planning on working when we get to California and the answer is "only as a stay-at-home mom." Truth be told I love not working outside the home. Sure it's hard some days, but for me personally I love having the time to spend with Calvin and Trevor and just focus on my family and other little projects. This is how I am, not how everyone else needs to be. Maybe when my kids are all grown and I'm not needed as much at home or if we really need the money then I might consider working again.

Speaking of Calvin the little lad just woke up from his nap. I also have some video to post, but that will have to wait until later.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates! Lindsay, you did a great job on the teddy bear cakes. Butter frosting does tend to be more on the soft side. I don't think you could have used the hair tube.

Calvin is growing up so fast - thanks for all the great pictures of him.

I think Trevor looks just like Hank in a couple of those pictures. Strong family resemblance there!

I loved your blog post!

The Wards said...

Hooray for one year old babies! Calvin is such a big boy. I can't wait for him and Oliver to bash about this summer!

Gramma Marty said...

Wow!! Calvin has a lot more hair since I saw him just 6 weeks ago. And it sure looks red. He's sooo big and soooo cute and I love him and his mommy and daddy.

Steven said...

Calvin looks like he wants to say, "Mom, where's my fork? I'm getting frosting all over when I use my hands." He has such good manners he didn't want to dig in with his hands.

Sarah said...

Taylor would shake his bottle too. It was always surprise him when something would come out.

Very cute Sunday outfit for Calvin! I can't believe he is almost 1!

Rachel and Vico said...

Wow--that cake is so cool! I like the green curly-Qs on the edges and the bears--are they cake?

Lindsay said...

Steven - ha ha, you are probably right! We are such mean parents wanting Calvin to get cake and frosting all over himself just to get some cute pictures! It probably backfired on us. :0)

Rachel - yeah the bears are cake. I used a mini-bear cake pan in order to get that shape.

Brooke said...

Calvin is so cute! I love the pictures from his birthday party! That cake was awesome! You are so talented! It was great to see you and Trevor today at church!:)

Rachel and Vico said...

ps thanks for telling us about the kidsinmind website!