Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day and other happenings

Going back in time about a week, I wanted to record what we did for Calvin's birthday. On his actual birthday we just spent the day together as a family (well, for the time that Trevor wasn't at work). We opened presents in the morning (thank you Grandpas and Grandmas for the gifts!) and had buttermilk pancakes which Calvin really likes.
Calvin got a Tonka truck which he LOVES to push around. He also likes to ride it as shown in the picture below. I think it's really helped him learn balance and how to walk better.

During the evening we went on a picnic and then to the Bean Museum. It's a taxidermy museum. Calvin seemed to enjoy looking at all the animals (sometimes it's hard for us to know if he likes something or not). Then we went to the Creamery and got ice cream.


On Sunday we took a little drive up to the base of the "Y" mountain to check out the view. We wanted to show Calvin the view of our city.
Calvin reaching for the camera. Typical.






We spent Memorial Day with Trevor's sisters. We went to a really cool park near the Orem Walmart (I don't know the name of the park). It was such a nice day and all the threats of rain never came to pass. At the park they had a cool swing set that actually rotated! Trevor was determined to get it to go fast so he tried to push it along with Summer (she was a good sport!) :0).

Here's Calvin swinging on that swing set. He seemed to like it so long as it wasn't going too high or too fast.


Calvin has started to take some steps the past couple days. We should really thank my cousin's daughter, Riley, for encouraging and teaching Calvin how to stand by himself. He's not completely interested in walking yet (and I'm not impatient to get him to walk) but it's so cute when he walks I can't help but want him to try it!

The video below shows some of Calvin's first attempts at walking. The first clip just shows his babbling. This is what he loves to do all day long and especially during church! :0)



Also notice the change in Trevor's hair style. I cut his hair on Memorial Day.

Here's a video of Calvin on his birthday learning to walk with his truck. He loves pushing this back and forth across our living room.

7 comments:

GordonandChrissy said...

Yay, Calvin! That's so exciting. And - I love that little striped shirt in the first video, Spencer has the same one! :)

Heather Melo said...

Wow!!! I seems like Calvin has grown up tons since I last saw him (and it hasn't even been very long). I miss you all and wish I would have been with you yesterday! And so soon you'll be moving off to California! See you soon! We'll be back next Wednesday.

Kathryn said...

I LOVE his talking!!! and his smile is so contagious. It's so exciting to see how much he has grown. Thanks for the pictures and movie :)

Kathryn said...

I am just now noticing the blog name change... very creative and fun... it fits your family well :)

Sarah said...

He is getting so big. I can't wait to see him in a few weeks, along with you Lindsay!

katie said...

That park is super cool. When it gets a little bit warmer you should take him to the fountains there. My nephews loved playing in them.

Leah Florence said...

Oh my gosh! Calvin is just so happy to be alive and to be learning new things! those videos were so adorable!!!! Walking is such a big milestone, it's crazy how fast time is going by!