Sunday, February 1, 2009

Spitting and Splashing

Calvin's two new favorite things are spitting and splashing. He's discovering new things about his body every day and it makes it really fun to watch him. When he eats now, he has discovered he can spit the food back out and make a funny noise with his lips. While it is funny to watch, it's not so funny when you get food sprayed on you... At first we thought it was because he didn't like some of the food we gave him, but now he does it with all the food we give him. Then I thought that he spit because he was full, but that theory was voided as well because he still accepts food even after spitting. If it's just a phase he's going through then that's fine, I can handle it. I just can't feed him anything that will stain or I just wear old clothes when I feed him. I've also tried being stern with him when he does it and tell him, "don't spit," in my "I mean it" voice, but he doesn't seem to respond to that. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Like I said, though, I'm not too annoyed with it, but I just don't want it to turn into a bigger problem later on. Hopefully it's just a phase he's going through. It also probably didn't help that we sometimes think it's really funny so we laugh when he does it.



Caught right in the act... :0) He almost looks like a baby Buddha.


The other thing Calvin loves right now is bath time (which he gets more often after spitting as much as he does!). He LOVES splashing in the water. Bath time has become much more enjoyable now that he can sit up by himself in the water. I couldn't decide which pictures I liked best, so I'm posting most of them. Hopefully you won't mind.



I like this picture because you can see the water splashing out of the tub!




Notice how many waves there are in the tub from all the splashing.




Calvin is almost ready to crawl. He is barely starting to army crawl and I'm sure he will be crawling any day now. Other things he loves right now are pens, hangers, electrical cords (we are learning how to baby proof our house), calculators, rice puffs (it's seriously his favorite food. Close seconds are bananas and biter biscuits), books, being "super baby" and flying around the house, rolling around while getting his diaper changed, and smiling (it's what he does best!).

While I try not to make this "Calvin's blog," I can't think of anything else exciting going on in our lives. Let's face it, our world pretty much revolves around Calvin, but we're perfectly fine with that! :0)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, what a fun blog! Spitting his food out is just a phase - what a fun phase, too! I just love all the pictures of Calvin. Thanks, so much.

Heather Melo said...

Yes, spitting is definitely a baby favorite. Olivia has been doing it for some time now. She kind of does it on and off. She did it a bunch about a month ago, and then stopped for a while, and now she's at it again! I don't think it should ever be a big problem. Yes, Calvin is a BIG smiler!

Christine and Nick said...

enjoy him while he sits in the bath. Callie refuses to sit down now that she can stand. It makes washing her pretty interesting!

Josh said...

He is so adorable! His smile is definitely the biggest and most enthusiastic smile I've seen from a baby.

Steven said...

Eden never went through that phase. The phase she is in right now is when she is done she throws all of her food on the floor so that her tray is all clean. Wish we had a dog to catch everything before it fell on the floor or didn't have carpet everywhere.