Monday, September 21, 2009

I feel like I'm always playing catch-up...

Calvin is becoming quite the character and makes me laugh all the time. Because we don't have any childproof locks on our temporary housing, he has free rein over more than usual. I find pillows in the kitchen, pots/pans/tupperware in the family room, socks/keys/beach balls in the kitchen drawers, etc. He loves to put the tupperware bowls on his head and mine. He has discovered the dishwasher and loves to pull things out if the door is down, so I have to be careful that it's always locked. He also loves to empty his bibs and washcloths out of the kitchen drawer and then put them back in (sort of). Don't worry, I do watch him while he gets into everything and nothing is within his reach that is actually dangerous.

Calvin now eats with a regular adult fork. He LOVES using it and is actually quite good at using it. I think he likes it because it's easier to poke his food with than using a little plastic fork. He also thinks it is the funniest thing in the world to put a blanket over his head and walk around running into things. He can now say: mama, dada, uh-oh, ball, dog, bath, hi, bye, and cracker. He also loves to go swimming.

So I have been doing lots of research and reading on the Internet regarding doctors in this area to deliver our baby. After my first experience with Calvin, I really wanted to make sure that I liked the doctor I chose. After going through pretty much every single doctor within a 5 mile radius of our home and reading reviews about those doctors, I felt like I would never find the "right" doctor for me. So I decided to look into midwives. I knew I didn't want a home birth, but Trevor's co-worker's wife recently had a baby with a group of midwives who deliver babies at a hospital. They work with a group of OBGYN's so if there are any complications during delivery, they can call a doctor right away to assist me. I read a lot about their practice and felt this was the right thing for me.

I set up an appointment and met with one of them last week. I never thought I'd ever be so happy and excited about my doctor. They believe in a more holistic/natural approach to labor and delivery. They have very low C-section and episiotomy rates which is good. I also already know I can deliver a baby drug-free based on experience, so why not try again? It can't be any worse than my last experience, and if I feel I really need an epidural, I know I can get it. The best part is that they really spend time with you. At my first appointment, this midwife talked to me and examined me for about 45 minutes. That would have rarely happened at my last OB's office in Provo. During labor they stay with you as much as possible and are your support system. Anyway, I'm really excited about it and feel I'm in good hands!

Trevor and I went to the Oakland LDS temple on Saturday. We LOVE this temple! It's beautiful inside and out! The temple grounds are beautiful and the view of the city is amazing. They also have a visitor's center with a Christus statue and beautiful paintings depicting Christ's life. It kind of reminded me of the Mesa visitor's center. Next to the temple they have a tri-stake center (yes... that's TRI-stake... it's a huge building) and people from our ward volunteer to babysit children there so you can do temple work. We were really grateful for this service they provide so we were able to go.

Well, I don't have a way to get pictures off my camera yet, so pictures will have to wait until later this week after we move into our apartment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your update of what's going on in the San Jose area. I love the pictures you posted, also. Calvin looks like he's enjoying life to the fullest!

Are you moving this week to your apartment? I wish you well with all that's ahead of you.