This post is about breastfeeding. If that doesn't interest you then don't read any further.
When Calvin was born, I was determined to nurse him and was getting frustrated when my milk supply didn't seem adequate enough for him. When he was about 6 weeks old, I had come to a crossroad where I had to either give up nursing or buy a double electric pump and see if I could build my supply up. I chose to buy the pump and I did a TON of pumping which let me nurse him for about 9 months. It was really time-consuming, but I had the time and I wanted to do it for him. I always worried, though, that I wouldn't have the time when I had more children and would have the same problem with my supply.
When Levi was born, I seemed to be doing okay nursing and I thought that maybe I wouldn't have the same problem. Then he started to want to nurse ALL the time and I felt like nothing was coming out. I didn't know if it was just a growth spurt or if my supply had really taken a dip. I started to do some reading online and saw that while it is not scientifically proven, many women claimed they could tell a difference in their supply if they had eaten oats that day. I did some reflecting and realized that I was the same way. On the days I didn't have oatmeal for breakfast I struggled a little more nursing. So now I try to get oats in some form or another every day and I haven't really had any problems with my supply since. Trevor prefers I just make oatmeal cookies-- can't understand why. :0) I don't think this method works for everyone, but it certainly has worked for me so far!
(As a side note, we've since made oatmeal a lot for breakfast using steel-cut oats and the America's Test Kitchen recipe and it is so good! It tastes like oatmeal, but it has a nutty texture.)
One more thing... Please believe me when I say I don't think less of anyone if they give their kids formula. I just really wanted to nurse because it is better for babies (and cheaper), which is probably one of the very few things not controversial in modern medicine.
First week of Christmas
6 years ago

8 comments:
I am glad that you are able to nurse Lindsay. More important that you have found a way to increase your supply.
I remember all of the horrors of not having any milk come in at all with each child. The last straw (with Jonathan)was when my doctor told me to drink a beer every day in order to get my milk production up. He would write a note for my bishop that this was medically necessary. Needless to say, I gave up the dream of being able to breastfeed.
Wow, I have never really heard of that before. I feel like I struggle with my milk supply also. so next time I will have to try that for sure. though eating oatmeal is extremely hard for me to do (texture thing I guess) so I will have to find another way to eat them! Thanks, and I hope they continue to work for you!
If you want some variety in your diet, there are other foods that can help increase supply. Traditional Medicinals (and several other companies) make "Mother's Milk" herbal tea that helps increase supply. Fennel and fenugreek are also supposed to help. Asparagus (perfect time of year for that), pecans, apricots, most dark leafy greens, and my mother-in-law says alfalfa pills, help too.
Maybe you already know all of this, but if not it's an idea anyway. I guess it's different for everyone but trying all of these things got me from .1 oz to 1.5 oz per feeding (obviously, we eventually had to go the formula route). I'll have to try more oats next time around.
@Lexie: it's oats in any form, it doesn't have to be oatmeal. You can put them in cookies, pancakes, granola or whatever.
When I make pancakes, I replace 1 cup of flour with a cup of regular oats which I put in the food processor. After mixing the wet and dry ingredients, just add more flour until it's the thickness you like.
You might also try the alternate oatmeal recipe Lindsay mentioned with the steel cut oats. It tastes like oatmeal but better! With steel cut oats the berries aren't rolled but are cut into pieces. The end result has a totally different texture; it's creamy and almost crunchy.
One more note: Lindsay says that instant oats (like the flavored packets) are too processed so stick to regular (old fashioned) or steel cut oats.
Great to know :) I'm glad to read that it is working out well for you. It will be interesting to know of all the different things you can make out of oats...
very interesting... I'll have to remember this for the future!
yeah for oats! I am so interested!
Martha Harmon's mom said the same thing about oats! I think you are awesome Lindsey! Thanks for sharing your research findings!
Post a Comment