I just wanted to share my great news that the article Dr. Christensen (statistics professor at BYU) and I wrote for The American Statistician journal has been accepted for publication!!! It is titled, "Predicting presidential and other multistage election outcomes using state-level pre-election polls". Basically we show ways to predict the probability of a presidential candidate winning the race and also of a political party keeping control of the Senate based on state pre-election polls.
Just wanted to share the wonderful news!!!
First week of Christmas
6 years ago

8 comments:
WOO-HOO!!! Good for you Lindsay! I am so proud of you and your many accomplishments. Your hard work is now rewarding you.
Congratulations! We're very excited for you!
Way to go Lindsay!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! This will now give me something else to brag to everyone about regarding my sister. Now instead of just saying, "I have a sister who is majoring in stats," I can add that she has been published as well:) I'm proud of you Lindsay!
That's awesome!!! Congrats!!
OK, Lindsay, what are your take for the upcoming 2008 election? Is it too soon to make a prediction yet? What about Congress - will the democrats keep their control there? What's the probability that Mitt Romney will win the Primary? Your skills could be quite valuable for upcoming elections!
I wish I had an answer for you mom, but... well, let me just say that I don't predict who is going to win the election, but more along the lines of "based on the polls, if the election were held today, what is the probability of so-and-so winning the election." It's different from forecasting. So for instance, Bush might have a 70% probability of winning, but it is still possible he could lose. We didn't write the article to show that we can predict the winner, but for a classroom exercise to practice some simulation and other statistical methods for application to real world examples. It's also too early to look and I haven't collected any data.
Yay! It's a BIG DEAL to be published! Congrats!
Post a Comment