Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Conversations between a Computer Scientist and Statistician

It's always been a joy for me to talk to someone who enjoys the technical/math side of life. I mean, doesn't everyone wish to express their love for someone in terms of limits of infinity such as
love =

discuss the limitless possibilities of LaTeX, visualize life in a 2 or 4-dimensional world, prove that nothing is truly random in this world, or describe the effects of programming nirvana?

One of my most memorable conversations we had was when we were signing our contract for our apartment. Our manager came in the room and asked us what we were talking about. Sheepishly we replied, "Oh, just random number generators..." I think that really caught him off guard! He was probably wondering, "Who are these people that are going to be living above me?"

I'm afraid our future kids have no hope for being normal... How can they when they are going to have the most well-designed experiments for Science Fairs. Picture little Timmy in a high pitch voice, "I designed a 2^3 factorial experiment with 2 replicates, 2 blocks, and three center points. I found there to be a significant interaction effect between plant fertilizer and the type of soil used. Furthermore, I found curvature to be significant so I would recommend extending this experiment and perform a response surface rotatable central composite design." Or Trevor teaching young Janet to learn how to program in Java before she learns to ride a bike.

But we have fun. Everyone has their quarks, and that's what makes us all unique!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have completely lost me - I have no idea what you are even talking about!

Jen said...

Amen to Mom's comment... it sounds like a completely different language. You'll be filling out forms for the kids' school and where it says "Primary Language Spoken at Home" put whatever you just wrote (I'm not going to try to interpret). That would be hilarious!! I'm so glad you have each other! Ü

Lindsay said...

Trevor and I were joking this morning that if the question was, "Primary Language Used at Home" we would put:
"Well, that is a debate in our home between Java and R."

Lindsay said...

Now you know why Statistics fulfills the foreign language requirement at BYU.

GordonandChrissy said...

You two are just perfect for eachother, that's hilarious. :)

Sarah said...

Isn't everything done on a bubble sheet now?

Somehow I think the two of you will actually enjoy keeping your "code" away from your children. John has to teach me a few Finnish words so we can still "talk" in front of the boys.

Kathryn said...

I can only imagine how much fun family dinners will be at your house. Everyone laughing at a computer or stats joke, and the guests will have no idea how that was funny. What fun.

T and B said...

You two are so smart. We laughed quite hard when we read this post. Thanks for sharing.