So after walking around Harvard campus, I realized that while BYU is a very clean nice campus, it is nothing compared to the architectural beauty of Harvard. It was so nice to walk around campus Sunday morning while there weren't many students around. I tried to take lots of pictures. Sorry I'm not in any of them--I was the one taking all of them. If you would like to see more pictures, you can click on the link to the right that says "pictures".
This is called the "Old Burying Ground" and is found right by Harvard campus. The sign said it was a "burial place of early settlers, tory landowners and slaves, soldiers, presidents of Harvard, and prominent men of Cambridge. 1635." Most of the writing on the headstones had worn away.
Here is a picture of an administration building. Let's play, "Name that Column Type!" See if you can guess the three types of columns that are displayed in the following pictures. (Kathryn and Steven--this is for you!)
I wanted to get some of the architecture up close. This building was called "Memorial Hall". It was probably one of my favorite buildings there.
Here is another picture of the same building farther away.
Here is a picture of the hotel I stayed at, "The Sheraton Commander". I am standing pretty close to Harvard campus while taking this picture.
Here is a picture of their main library (I'm assuming it is the main library. It was a huge building!) Here is another column type you can try and identify!
This reminded me of the old angel Moroni on the Nauvoo temple. It was on top of a church building.
While most of the campus looks old, there were a select few buildings that were noticeably newer than the rest. This is the science center and the building in which the conference was held. I kind of wish they kept with the old brick style...

9 comments:
I'm sure Don Hall would be giving you *Extra Credit* for this. Unfortunately for me, I have completely forgotten the different column type names, and would probably respond with "it's from the Greek culture." Wow, that looked like a great trip. I love going back East. You're right the architecture is so beautiful.
What a fun adventure for you! Another "feather in your cap" for your many efforts with your studies.
It is a beautiful campus! Thanks for sharing the pictures! Had the leaves changed to fall colors yet? I recognized the Corinthian columns.
Ionic (scroll), Corinthian (leaves) and Doric (straight up and down)! That is from my humanities days in high school and BYU. I pointed them all out to John when we went to Washington DC last year. I am glad you were able to go.
What was my extra credit prize?
You mentioned a poster that you hope everyone enjoyed. What is the poster of? Did you take a picture of your beautiful work? Congratulations on being invited to go! - John
Jen- The leaves hadn't really changed colors yet. They were just barely starting to. Good job on recognizing the Corinthian columns!
Sarah- Yes, um, I don't remember saying anything about an extra credit prize, but you sure deserve the satisfaction of knowing something about Greek culture! Great job naming all three column types!
John- I presented my Master's thesis as a poster. It was on skill importance in women's volleyball. I can send you a pdf version of the poster if you are interested.
I would love a copy of your poster.
Wow, what an awesome experience and opportunity for you. And what a beautiful campus. Thanks for sharing! -J
That looks like so much fun. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Post a Comment