Saturday, October 20, 2007

A random tip for cleaning/cooking

Trevor and I decided we needed to do some cleaning in our apartment this morning. It reminded me of some tips that we do while cleaning so the fumes are not so strong. If you light a candle and leave it burning in the room while you clean, it burns all the fumes and you can't smell them anymore. It works even faster if you walk around the room with the candle. Then you don't feel sick while cleaning (well, I am sick after breathing in those fumes). It works especially well when mopping the kitchen floor or cleaning the bathtub where the fumes seem to be the strongest. Also, if you have problems cutting onions, light a candle and place it right by you while cutting the onion. It burns all the fumes and you won't have any tears.

This is all that comes to mind right now. I'm not a huge fan of collecting candles for decoration, but boy do they come in handy when I clean or cook!

3 comments:

GordonandChrissy said...

Shoot, I should've read this about an hour ago. I just finished a big cleaning of our apartment and my head feels a little funny. I did the toilets and had the stuff soaking in there while I mopped the floors and I think my face got too close to the cleaner when I bent over to mop. Yikes. Good tips, I'll have to try them next time. :)

Anonymous said...

I've never tried using a candle when cleaning. I thought some aerosoles might explode around an open flame. Look what I've been missing all these years!

Lindsay said...

I guess none of our cleaners are aerosoles. I could see how using those types of cleaners could potentially be dangerous. I guess just be sure to use common sense when dealing with candles and fire.