So has anyone else ever felt the need to name their fetus? Trevor and I did because it didn't feel real to call our unborn child "the baby" or "it" (I also felt weird saying "he or she"). So we came up with the name "Nausicaa". It's from a Hayao Miyazaki film called Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. It's a Japanese animation film and a movie Trevor and I enjoyed watching. Mainly we picked the name because it sounded so much like "nausea" and that was all I could think about at the time. Even though I'm feeling better, the name has stuck and it's a little more real to us now. Although, I'm sure it won't really be real until Nausicaa's born.
Oh, and don't worry... we don't plan to give Nausicaa a Japanese name when he/she is born. :0)
First week of Christmas
6 years ago

6 comments:
For the first couple of weeks I would call Eden, 'the baby' or baby Eden. I guess I get that from Jonathan and Taylor. I like to say Nausicaa like the hyena's say Mufasa in Lion King.
That is too funny about Baby Eden. My boys call all babies that until they are ONE. Then they are no longer a baby for some reason. They do it with Thomas as well.
I always called my children baby. When we found out what we were having we would then call him by his name.
I LOVE the name! That is a great one. I wonder if it means anything in Japanese?
I didn't know this before, but Nausicaa actually comes from the Greek Odyssey of Homer. Miyazaki (the director of the movie) took it from them. It kind of makes sense because Nausicaa is also a princess in the movie. Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nausicaa
I completely understand about naming the Fetus! We called both of our boys throughout the whole pregnancy "Cletus the fetus" Cletus for short! People thought we were weird but hey we liked it!
I love telling people baby names like that. I get the biggest kick out of their facial expressions. And so many people think you're serious too?!
Post a Comment