So after we found out we are having a boy we started to get more serious about choosing a name. After much deliberation we picked a name! The name of the first Florence in our family is… is… is… (click here to see the name!)
It’s not final yet, but we both really like it. Here’s how we came up with the name:
We compiled a list of about 500 boy names from the Internet and went through each name and removed the weird ones and the ones we knew we didn't like. We narrowed it down to about 40 names that we could choose from for any of our future children (don’t worry, we’re not planning on having forty boys ;-)). Then we narrowed it down again to about 14 just keeping the ones we’d like for our firstborn. We each took a copy of this list and separately ranked the names and added our two rankings. Calvin came in first. We talked about which of the top names we liked, but after contemplating it we started to both really like the name. It's also a family name—Trevor and I both have a great uncle Calvin. It's not something we think people would misspell (that was important to us) or mispronounce (another thing we wanted), but it definitely isn't a common name so he won't have three other students in his class with the same name. I remember having two other Lindsay's in my 1st grade class and so I had to go by Lindsay B., which was hard because there was also a Lindsay P. and those sounded awfully similar (I absolutely love my name, though, don't misunderstand me!). Trevor and I both commented that when we woke up that morning, we never imagined our first son would be named Calvin, but we both really like it.
Samuel is a family name on both sides of our family. It is my Grandpa Walker's middle name and Trevor's Great Grandpa, Grandpa, Dad, and brother's middle name (they are all Henry Samuel I, II, etc.); Henry Senior’s father’s name is also Samuel. Trevor’s brother, Hank, will still name their son Henry Samuel Florence V, but to me it isn't a big deal. I mean, I think I counted 6 people with the middle name of "Walker" in our family? That's just including my generation.
We've already searched the Internet and thought about potential name-calling in school, ex-convicts with that name, etc. and couldn't find anything. I was a little wary because of "Calvin and Hobbes", but we figure kids his generation won't be as familiar with the comic seeing as they don't make new comics anymore, and those who are familiar with it love Calvin!
So as you can see, we have really thought about this, please don't try to make us change our minds. I think it would make us go crazy trying to go through the process again right now!


5 comments:
You know Lindsay & Trevor, that is a great name. I would not worry about Calvin & Hobbs. We thought the same about Thomas and "Thomas the train." We don't get those comments anymore from people unless they hear it for the first time. We always prayed about our names too. Our boys now LOVE hearing how we picked their names and we repeat it over and over and over...
I like it. It is really cute. You'll hear comments from people good and bad, and you just need to go with what you feel is right. After a few babies, we ended up waiting to tell people the name after it was on the birth certificate so we wouldn't hear the negative. We liked to look at the meaning of names, too, and the kids really like to hear about that. That makes it special for them. You have really put a lot of thought into it, and like Sarah said, it is fun to tell them when they are older and see them get excited.
Hey - Trevor didn't look like that when we saw him a few weeks ago... It must have been all those brownies! ;-)
Yay for belly pics! you are so cute (assuming you are the one in the dress! :) I am jealous that you have such a tiny belly! Well, Calvin is a great name. I LOVE any name that end with the "en" "in" "on" sound (obviously..Reven, and Mason) And when you make that decision it should only be between you two and no one else! So let me ask you, do you have any ideas for boys names for me? we are having the HARDEST time, thinking up a name for baby boy #3!
Cute picture! YAY! Boys are great! Names are so hard to pick. Oh boy...pun intended. :)
by the way...
Just wanted to let you know we changed our address to:
jaredanddelia.blogspot.com
I love the name! One of my favorite uncles is named Calvin. What a good name.
Post a Comment