I read an interesting article in the Deseret News about helping your children be quiet during Sacrament Meeting at church. I have no experience in this, but felt I needed to start thinking about how I am going to teach my children reverence during church. I thought the ideas sounded promising. Maybe some of the more experienced mothers reading this can also offer their two cents.
Keeping Kids Quiet in Church
First week of Christmas
6 years ago

4 comments:
I can toloerate babies crying - it's the older kids (and adults) who talk and are disruptive that bother me! I'm still wondering why older kids need to draw and play when they should be listening. I really like the last idea in the article (comment section) - whoever is irreverent during sacrament meeting does the Sunday dishes ALONE! That just may cure the problem for those that should know better!
Something that we have found very effective is making sure our children were dressed "reverently" in their "church uniform." Our boys from a very young age are in a white shirt and tie, pants and nice shoes. No shorts, sandals, or even polo shirt. They behave more reverent. On a couple occasions we had one of the boys in something other than their church clothes, and they behaved as though it were just another day. It was a HUGE difference.
Another thing we have found good for our family is sitting as close as possible. They can't see what other kids are doing around them and they can see the speakers, the Bishop, the young men lining up to pass, blessing the sacrament, etc. It seems to work for us.
For my babies and toddlers, they love lotion dots. I will put tiny dabs of lotion on their arms and either we rub them in or let them. That keeps them entertained a long time!! A Q-tip container keeps little ones quiet for a while, too. I would take a container like a formula can or crystal light containter, decorate it of course, and then poke holes in the plastic lid. You give the child one Q-tip at a time and they push them in the holes. It is quiet, and they are entertained for a long time!!
Reverence and respect to Heavenly Father in His house is definitely taught in the home, around the dinner table, and at FHE. In church, we always sit next to each other and try to have three kids on either side of us. We are within arms reach of all of them. If they start to talk we can tap their shoulder and give them THE LOOK. Ü We also remind the kids (even the older ones) that the church has corners, too, and we aren't afraid to use them....
Now, when they ask you both to speak in church, and grandma and a fun aunt comes to sit with them.... some forget ALL rules... until they are reminded that night in family counsel...
What we do is a lot of the same that Jen does. We always dress in white shirt, tie, dress shoes...John tells them they are wearing their Priesthood uniform. We also do not give them snacks at all during sacrament. We try to sit up front as well, but not of the front row. That is too much freedom in front of them. We try to sit behind the deacons to show the boys what they will be doing. We let the boys pack their own scripture bags with crayons and paper to color. I bring toys for Thomas, but that is it.
Another thing we have is our Sunday box with things they can only play with on Sunday. This has made a huge difference on Sunday's and the boys look forward to getting that box out.
We also practice sitting reverent during FHE. When our boys are irreverent during sacrament, we have a lesson on it in FHE or bring it up in family council so the issue is brought up immediately.
Another thing that has made a difference is having everything ready and laid out the night before so we are not trying to find the lost sock right before church. It helps mom and dad and our stress levels. We then try and remind the boys the purpose of sacrament on the way to church.
I think you will find what works best for your family. It is mostly by trial and error. One mother who brought snacks told her children not until after the sacrament was passed so her children were focused on the reason they were there.
Hey I saw this article as well in the Deseret News online. It looked interesting to me. I'm glad that you posted it. Thanks!
Sorry I have no advice.
Post a Comment