Friday, March 14, 2008

Happy Pi Day!

In case you didn't know, today is the day math lovers celebrate pi (Because it is 3/14). And no, I didn't spell it wrong... I'm referring to the number pi. Here is another website with information on Pi day.


The BYU Math Department had a big celebration on campus today. They had a "pi" eating contest, "pi" your professor, see how many digits of pi you can recite by memory, and other fun things. They are also having an integration bee later this afternoon with cash prizes! It's like a spelling bee, sort of, but seeing how fast you can calculate integrals. If I had recently taken calculus I probably would have entered, but I'm pretty rusty now seeing as I took it a few years ago. I wouldn't stand a chance against math majors who work in the math lab.

So, I actually didn't attend any of these festivities, but they sure sounded fun. So go celebrate pi day by having pie for dessert tonight (or you could work on a really cool math problem if you don't like eating pie...)!

Now you know how weird I truly am.

What would you do to celebrate Pi Day?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know how much I like math... I would rather celebrate PIE day before I celebrated PI day. Math majors really have a weird sense of humor celebrating this! Another reason why I didn't go far in math.

Lindsay said...

Trevor commented to me that we should also celebrate "e" (2.718281828) day on February 7th. We could take (natural) logs and have a big bonfire or something. Or we could eat "ants on a (natural) log" (peanut butter, raisins, and celery).

Lindsay said...

Here's what I'm talking about in case you have no idea...

Mathematical "e"

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

DJ's math class celebrated PI today yesterday with several different kinds of pies and a little party. He was very excited to go to school yesterday. I think he will always remember PI day now. I thought it was a great idea and had never heard of celebrating it before.

Kathryn said...

What a fun holiday to celebrate!!! I will have to place this on my calendar to celebrate next year. Thanks for the information!