Monday, March 17, 2008

Strengthening our families

This is kind of late, but I thought I would share it because it has been on my mind. I don't know how many people were able to attend the Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting on February 9th, but if you didn't I would highly recommend either reading the talks or downloading and watching the meeting (see link above). It is all about strengthening the family and building up a righteous posterity. Trevor and I actually didn't watch it on February 9th (we completely forgot about it), but the past couple weeks for FHE we have been watching the talks and discussing how we can help strengthen our family. It has been a great blessing in our lives.

We watched President Packer's talk this week and I just love listening to him speak. Even after reading the Proclamation on the Family multiple times, certain phrases stood out to me for the first time and had special meaning to me. It was neat to have someone who helped in the construction of the proclamation to read it out loud and emphasize certain passages. I also really liked when he said,

"When you wonder why we are the way we are and why we do the things we do and why we will not do some of the things that we will not do, you can find the authority for that in this proclamation on the family. There are times when we are accused of being intolerant because we won’t accept and do the things that are supposed to be the norm in society. Well, the things we won’t do, we won’t do. And the things we won’t do, we can’t do, because the standard we follow is given of Him." - President Packer

I'm so grateful for the counsel we receive from our church leaders and for the restored truths of the gospel. It calms some of my fears of raising a family in such a turbulent world.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

AMEN!

I still remember Lindsay when John and I came to visit and you had memorized the Proclamation.

It brings me peace as well with the world we are living in.

Jen said...

I can't even imagine raising my children without the church's counsel and direction. The promises that follow the counsel give us hope as well. Thanks for sharing your this.

Spring said...

Lindsay, I didn't get to watch the broadcast either. Thank you for reminding me of it and providing the link. I've been watching it today and find it so uplifting. I appreciate their optimism about the future because there is so much wickedness and it can be scary thinking about raising our children in it. I love your blog! You and Trevor are so awesome. I'm excited for you to be almost graduating and with a little one on the way. It's not easy being in school and being pregnant. Good for you!