This is a really interesting article Trevor found about someone's predictions of what life will be like in 2008 predicted in 1968. Some things are pretty far off while others are surprisingly accurate (like the Internet and computers). I don't think I could predict what life will be like in 2048!
Here are some excerpts if you don't want to read the whole article. These are some of the things that I thought were pretty accurate.
"Other conveniences ease kitchenwork. The housewife simply determines in advance her menus for the week, then slips prepackaged meals into the freezer and lets the automatic food utility do the rest. At preset times, each meal slides into the microwave oven and is cooked or thawed. The meal then is served on disposable plastic plates. These plates, as well as knives, forks and spoons of the same material, are so inexpensive they can be discarded after use."
"The single most important item in 2008 households is the computer. These electronic brains govern everything from meal preparation and waking up the household to assembling shopping lists and keeping track of the bank balance.....Computers also handle travel reservations, relay telephone messages, keep track of birthdays and anniversaries, compute taxes and even figure the monthly bills for electricity, water, telephone and other utilities. Not every family has its private computer. ..."
"Money has all but disappeared. Employers deposit salary checks directly into their employees’ accounts. Credit cards are used for paying all bills. Each time you buy something, the card’s number is fed into the store’s computer station. A master computer then deducts the charge from your bank balance."
"Computers not only keep track of money, they make spending it easier. When you see what you want, you press a number that signifies “buy,” and the household computer takes over, places the order, notifies the store of the home address and subtracts the purchase price from your bank balance. Much of the family shopping is done this way. Instead of being jostled by crowds, shoppers electronically browse through the merchandise of any number of stores."
"Besides school lessons, other educational material is available for TV viewing. You simply press a combination of buttons and the pages flash on your home screen. The world’s information is available to you almost instantaneously." (This is what I would call the Internet!)
First week of Christmas
6 years ago

5 comments:
Wow, that is so cool! It's so interesting how correct he was. Amazing.
Rad article! Thanks for sharing. You are right on how amazing they were right on some of the information. It's also interesting to me how far we have come since 1968.
When I graduated in 1967, we had to write a paper predicting what the year 2000 would be like. That was difficult, because it's hard to predict what life might be like in the future. I know I missed probably on all my predictions. This article was good - they must have an imagination, I guess I don't. Thanks for sharing it.
Part of me wants to think in 2048 it will be like the Jetsons with communicating with robots and such, but Don says that it already happening with voice recognition and walking into rooms and telling the lights to turn on. It is hard to imagine life without things like the internet.
Pretty cool.
Post a Comment