Sunday, March 29, 2009

Florence Family Fun

This past weekend, a bunch of my family were in town to see Hank, my brother, perform in Macbeth which is at BYU right now. My parents drove up on Friday and so we've been hanging out with them this weekend.

A few weekends ago, Lindsay and I went over to Jason's Deli for dinner and we got the Reuben sandwich. I've always loved these but this was Lindsay's first time trying them. Our sandwich was really good but a little expensive for what we got. So this week, Lindsay decided to make Reuben sandwiches from scratch after she found a corned beef brisket on sale. They turned out awesome!

After enjoying our delicious sandwiches, we headed over to Heather's house to eat some (more) dinner and hang out with my parents. Here's my dad and sister getting ready to play cards:


I imagine that Lindsay has mentioned that my mom has been working on a cross-stitch for Calvin. What she's accomplished is insane! She brought it with her to show us how things were coming along:


It's hard to fathom how truly immense this work is. To give it some perspective, here's Lindsay holding it:


Here's a copy of the original artwork this cross-stitch is based on. It's incredible how accurate this cross-stitch is!


On Saturday, we went and saw Macbeth and then went over to Mandy's apartment to celebrate Leah's birthday and Hank's performance as Macbeth. Hank did an awesome job! This was a different role for him and quite a challenge. He's done comedies, musicals, and a little drama but nothing like this. Well, Hank and Lady Macbeth did an outstanding job and really stole the show. It was very awesome. They portrayed the entire play in Book of Mormon times around the time of the Gadianton Robbers instead of Scotland. The sets and costumes were really cool; apparently, a lot of them were used in The Testaments and were rented from the Church's broadcasting department. Here we are singing Happy Birthday to Leah while Hank (still wearing his fake tattoos) is holding Leah's scented birthday candle :)


Calvin has been doing a really good job spending the evenings in different environments. He had a really good time with:

Mommy!


Summer!


Alicey!


And, by himself in the closet!


Needless to say, we had a fun weekend spending time with our family! Summer and I especially had a good time taking silly pictures. Here's our blurry super model pose:


Today, we went to my grandparents house and celebrated my grandpa's 87th birthday! Around 72 people showed up and most of them ate dinner! We had Hawaiian Haystacks and cake for dessert and ended up with just enough food.

In other news: Calvin has been enjoying spring and spends a great amount of time now looking out the window (and licking it...). Here's a cute shot of him enjoying the view:


We've got some cute videos of Calvin that we'll post later this week. Until later!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Hats off to your mom Trevor! Having done MANY counted cross stiches over the years I don't think my wrists could do something like that ever again. That is a definite wall hanging NOT an everyday blanket.

What a great weekend- birthday's galore. I hope you ate a piece of cake vicariously for my birthday too :-)

Kathryn said...

WOW!!! I am impressed with the cross stitch as well!!! I remember when she first started it, I can't believe how much she has accomplished.

That sounds like a fun weekend. I can't even imagine the amazing performance Hank gave in Macbeth. I was in awe of his talent in acting with the few plays I was able to see him perform in.

Lindsay said...

Trevor's mom has been working on it for 10 months now (she started it when he was born) and spends hours on it almost every day. We didn't mean for it to turn into such a huge project, but she wanted to do it. I've never seen anyone do a solid cross-stitch before (there's absolutely no white showing in the final product) and I can't remember the count, but it was originally a 25-count (I think she's doing it as a 20- or 18-count which is why it's so big). It's beyond words AMAZING!!! And yes, Sarah, we definitely plan to make it a wall-hanging. Nobody is going to be allowed to touch it. We want it to be an heirloom passed down many generations.

Jess said...

What an amazing cross-stitch. I've tried big ones before (not even that big) and gave up because they took too long. What a labor of love!

katie said...

The cross stick is awesome! I saw the original at the Woodbury Art building at the University mall. It is so detailed and super fun! I was ultra impressed with the painting. But to do it in a cross stitch of that magnitude is amazing!
Go aunt Marty!!!

Leah Florence said...

That was a pretty awesome weekend...thanks again for coming and being so supportive to Hank with his show, it means so much to the both of us. Calvin is getting more fun and cute the more we see him! we are really going to miss you guys when we move!

GordonandChrissy said...

That cross stitch is amazing! I started a Noah's Ark cross stitch in High School and it still isn't done. I was trying to finish it up before Spencer came, but ... obviously that didn't happen. Maybe I can have it done by the time he turns five. :)

I'm excited to see the finished product hanging on the wall!