Sunday, June 8, 2008

My new job

Microsoft is a really fun place to work! I started Monday with my new hire orientation followed by some lunch with some of my coworkers and then to my office. I’m going to be sharing an office with two other interns in what was formerly known as “The dungeon" but has been recently renamed to be "The Intern Party Room." The other two interns don't start for another week or so, in the meantime, I've got the place to myself. I'm working on PowerPoint as a Software Developer Engineer. There are about a total of 26 developers working on powerpoint, along with several other Software Developers in Test (testers), and several Program Managers (people who decide on what features to include). The whole group is really nice and I like the atmosphere a lot.

Here are some things I like about working here: so far, I haven't been to a single meeting (not counting my orientation); you can wear what you like (I just where what I typically where during a semester: whatever I want); there's no particular time you have to come into work; no one monitors how many hours you're working; there are free drinks (drinks like juice, soda, milk products, etc.), cereal, and oatmeal available at any time; the code base that I am working with is very clean and easy to get into.

I have a mentor named Jeff (they call mentors "coaches") who works on similar projects that I work on. He helps me set and realize goals (which they call "commitments" here). I can talk to my coach if I have any questions, so that comes in handy. I also have a manager who is the one that will ultimately decide if I should be hired in the future. They asses me by how I perform on projects, which is measured by things like design quality, finished product quality, if I get things done in a timely matter, and most likely how well I fit into the team. So, my plan is to work my hardest so that I can get hired on full-time.

Outside of work, I try to help Lindsay the best that I can. She is doing a great job, and I'm really proud of her! We're excited for this summer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Trevor! I have complete confidence in your computer abilities. I'm glad San Jose is working out for you and Lindsay. What a fun three-month vacation for your family. (well... working vacation).

GordonandChrissy said...

Sounds like things are going really great at the new job so far. And your new place looks very nice! Is there a pool close by so Lindsay can get away when it's super hot?