Sunday, July 15, 2007

Catching up from the 4th of July till now...

So, backing up a little bit, our 4th of July celebration was really nice! We made blueberry pancakes, went on a 3.5 mile walk along the ocean, ate barbecued ribs (it was really a treat for us!), baked French fries, and brownies and ice cream (one of our all-time favorite desserts). We then went up on our roof to watch the fireworks, but there were so many people up there, they were all drunk, and there was unwholesome music in the background. We didn't feel good being in that atmosphere so we left and watched the fireworks from our balcony. We actually had a pretty good view from there. It beat dealing with the traffic! Oh, one thing I remembered was that on our walk, we discovered this tiny little "secret garden" park about two blocks from our house. It was absolutely beautiful with so many different types of flowers. It's finding these little gems that make being here so much fun!

This past Friday night, we went to the Temple and we were going to eat at the cafeteria, but due to traffic we didn't make it in time. So we decided to just go somewhere else. So we started driving on the street going past the temple and kept driving, and driving, and yes driving some more through lots of residential neighborhoods. It was really pretty with lots of trees and parks, but we didn't see anything commercial for a really, really long time. When we finally did, the only restaurants we saw were "Tuna House" and "Best Wok". What a great selection! Luckily, before we had settled on going to 7-Eleven, Trevor spotted a Subway in the distance. We decided that was our best bet. We just couldn't believe how hard it was for us to find a restaurant off of the freeway exit. Oh well, at least we had a scenic drive!

Yesterday, we spent most of the day studying--Trevor studied for the GRE (which he is taking on Thursday, please keep him in your prayers!) while I worked on my thesis and poster for the NESSIS symposium in September. Last night we rented "Monster House" and thought it was pretty good. It's one of those movies where I didn't expect a whole lot, so I enjoyed it more. I don't know if it is too scary for little kids (I get scared easily so take it for what it is worth).

Trevor and I also got callings in our ward today! We are nursery workers again! Yea!!! We are excited to have a couple of times in the nursery before we leave. There are about 16-20 children in the nursery. That 's quite a few more than the 3-4 in our last ward, but I'm sure it will be fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to work in the nursery at Primary! I keep hinting to a certain member of our bishopric for that calling, but it falls on deaf ears. (Ha!)

It looks like you are making the most of your time while in Seattle. Your descriptions of it makes me want to visit.

Sarah said...

I love nursery too! It is so important to these young children to have a good start in primary. I still hear about my boys beloved nursery leaders.