Saturday, July 28, 2007

How to NOT have food storage...?

So Trevor and I are leaving Seattle in 3 weeks, which means that we need to get rid as much of our food before then so we don't have to transport it back to Provo but still be able to eat in the next 3 weeks. We have had a difficult time this past week shopping and only buy food that won't last that long and still be able to eat decent meals. We are so used to buying in bulk and stocking up on things. Hopefully there won't be a catastrophe anytime soon. Because we don't have much food in our home, we came up a new recipe for dinner tomorrow night... rice, leftover stir fry, Mexican frozen vegetable mix, instant mashed potatoes, chili, yams, raisins, and coconut all mixed together. Might as well toss in the rest of the sprouts we have.

I'm making it sound worse than our situation really is (I was just joking around about that meal by the way...). We do have food, but we are just used to having lots of options for what to eat, and we don't have that right now. Anyone have any suggestions of meals we can make that aren't too expensive (food prices here are starting to get to me), too many different ingredients that result in storing more food, and still relatively healthy? I think I just need some fresh ideas for meals. We are going grocery shopping on Monday! Hooray!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could stick with sandwiches or wraps. Kathryn and I discovered chicken / avocado / salsa wraps - mmmm good! Omelets are good, too. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll survive OK. You both are great cooks!

Jess said...

That's funny - I was going to say wraps, too. Steven and I have also enjoyed tortilla soup (salsa, tomato soup & tortilla chips) as a quick easy meal - let us know if you need the recipe.

Sarah said...

I had such a good wrap the other day. They put their chicken salad- with lettuce, diced chicken, tomatoes... into a wrap and then toasted the wrap. It was really tasty.

I have to admit this is the part about moving that I do not like as well. Stuffed peppers are good. I think peppers are in season right now too, and it would use up rice. Another thing that is good is salsa chicken. I cut up raw chicken and cook it in salsa and serve it with rice.

Lindsay said...

Those are all good ideas. Thanks! It's funny how we all eat similarly (we love making salsa chicken and rice!). Maybe if avocados aren't too expensive we will make those wraps. We bought some whole wheat tortillas the other day and I'm excited to eat them (I think they taste sooo much better than regular tortillas)!