Trevor's heavy eyelids refused to open as Lindsay called him to try and wake him up. Lindsay had been awake for an hour or so and by this time Trevor was sprawled out on the bed in a million different angles haphazardly tangled in the bed sheet. After a few moments and hearing at best an audible groan, Lindsay came closer, sat on the bed and said, "Come on Trevor, it's time to get up, I've got to catch my bus. Let's pray."
After another groan Trevor, tightly holding his eyes shut, rolled his numb body over the side of the bed and landed in a kneeling position with the sheet still wrapped around his body. He resembled something of a mummy. "Okay, I'm up."
They prayed. Afterwards, he managed to sit up and open his eyes, only to close them again and start rubbing them. Trevor looked at the clock, "6:58… Lindsay, you're leaving early. Okay, be safe, have a good day at work. I love you."
"I love you to." They mutely kissed, smiled at each other, and Lindsay rushed out the door to catch her first bus.
Trevor stood up from bed, still rubbing his eyes and gradually working his hands throughout the rest of his face. Finally, things started coming into focus.
He decided on hot oatmeal instead of cold cereal for breakfast. Much more awake now he pulled out a cheap but sturdy sauce pan that had come with the apartment and set it on the stove. He reached up, opened the white cupboard and pulled out the bag of rolled oats they had purchased in the bulk food section of Metropolitan Market. They were surprised to find food so expensive in
After breakfast and filling his dirty dishes with water to soak, he hopped in the shower, dried off, put on deodorant, got dressed, shaved, brushed his teeth, put gel in his hair and did his hair. With time left for some morning reading and study, Trevor grabbed his shoes from the closet by the front door and headed out for work.

3 comments:
I hope your breakfast tasted OK. I could have used your blog when I taught school as my students would ask me, "Why do we need to know fractions? What good are they in life?"
I knew there was a reason I started my children out on oatmeal packets.
Wow Trevor, your kids are really going to enjoy reading your journals! What detail. :-) By the way, you didn't mention who prayed that morning. If it was you and you're anything like me (John), does Lindsay have the gift of tongues?
Post a Comment