Hello Everyone!
We just wanted to let everyone know how we are doing. Things are going well. Our internships are going well and we are still enjoying getting to know Seattle better.
Yesterday (Saturday) we went to the Pacific Science Center with another couple in our ward who are also up here for an Amazon internship. It was a lot of fun! One exhibit that was really cool was a butterfly house which had approx. 600-1000 butterflies in it!


We also saw a lot of dinosaur fossils and skeletons. The museum has a kids focus but still was a lot of fun. They had a lot of interactive displays, cool animals to look at (like the naked mole rats who can chew through concrete!). Trevor road a bike on a large metal loop like 20 feet in the air!

We also saw this really cool fountain right by the Science Center. It is definitely a great place to go when it is hot outside!

Trevor even tagged the dome without getting wet (well, he didn't get soaked).

Last week we also went to the Seattle Olympic Sculpture Park which has some pretty interesting sculptures. We really liked a tree replica made out of stainless steel and some cool benches made to look like eyes. Another cool one was called a typewriter eraser which I think looks like a wheel and Trevor thinks it looks like a pizza cutter. What do you think? I don't think it looks like a typewriter eraser, but maybe I just haven't been experienced enough with typewriters. (Pre-computer folks, any input?)
One thing we have learned about grocery shopping here (maybe we have just got unlucky a few times) is that we always have to check our receipt and make sure they charged us for the right produce. Almost every single time we have gone, they have charged us for the wrong type of tomato (the one not on sale of course) or the wrong onion (also the one not on sale). Even though we have been unfortunate in this, yesterday due to coupons, sales and a miss-scanned-onion-refund, we got two gallons of milk, 6 yogurts, an onion, four tomatoes, 6 peaches and 8 plums all for $5.50! We feel it made up for previous overcharges.
I (Lindsay) had some good news this past week or so. My graduate advisor submitted my Master's thesis abstract to the NESSIS (New England Symposium for Statistics in Sports) and it was accepted to be presented as a poster! I am traveling to Cambridge, MA at Harvard to be at the conference on September 29th! I'm just relieved I don't have to actually present a talk. People can sometimes be ruthless at conferences like this. This will give me an extra push to work really hard on finishing up my project this summer. I'm almost done with the actual project, now I just have to write it up.
I (Trevor) am enjoying work! Just last week I got a new assignment which I'll be working on for the next couple of weeks. I'll tell you more about next week when I learn more about what exactly I'll be doing. Actually, come to think of it, it's kind of top-secret... so I'll be vague. In other news... I've been assigned a whole bunch of inactive people to home teach, most of which either don't live at their addresses any more or aren't interested in the church, but we did manage to set up an appointment with a young inactive guy who happens to also work at Amazon, so I'll see how that goes this week.
Well, we love you all! We're having a swell time in Seattle and we're looking forward to seeing (most of) you at the end of this summer!

No comments:
Post a Comment