Saturday, September 27, 2008

Newest Craft Project

Since I have no longer been a student, I've discovered I've had more time on my hands. Well, with watching Calvin I don't have THAT much more time on my hands, but I've realized that I need something else to do besides watch Calvin. I've decided to try my hand at some crafts. I don't consider myself a "crafty person," but I guess the only way to get better is to practice, right?

While at another girl's home in our ward, I noticed she had these really cute blocks for her daughter. I thought, "I bet I could make something like that!" So I went to Roberts Arts and Crafts not really knowing what I needed to buy. I got some supplies and when I got home I researched the Internet to get some beginning lessons on stitching plastic canvas (probably should have done that in the opposite order, but it all worked out). When I told Trevor what I was doing he said, "Cool! We could even put letters on them!"

Well, long story short, a simple little project is taking me longer than expected but I think they will be fun for him once they are done. I'm making 6 blocks (so that we can spell Calvin's name) and putting different letters on all the sides. I'm even sticking bells and other things inside so they make noise. This first block took me a long time to do, but I learned a lot doing it and the other ones shouldn't take as long hopefully. For not knowing anything about plastic canvas I think it turned out pretty well!


5 comments:

Sarah said...

Are you doing different sized bells so they ring different? They look really cute.

GordonandChrissy said...

Those look great! What a creative and fun idea for him to play with. I like that you have it so it spells out his name also. Great idea!!!

Jared and Delia said...

I like it! Way cute.

Maria and Ryan said...

wow--honestly, that block is COOL! I bet Calvin loves it! wish i could be there to do crafts with you :-) i need a little help/encouragement/impetus in that direction

katieo said...

Those look really cute!! I love that he can play with them too. And when he grows up and starts throwing them, he won't dent anything. Perfect! ;)