Trevor finished his internship on Aug. 22nd and we didn't have to leave for Utah until the following Wednesday so we had some time to pack and visit some more sites. On August 25th we went to San Francisco and visited Alcatraz Island! It was a lot of fun despite all the wind! This is us on the ferry to the island.

There is an audio tour that you take while touring the main prison building. They describe what went on there and told stories of famous people there and some escapes.
Can you imagine living your life in this little area?
One thing that really stood out to me while we were there was how the prisoners talked about not having freedom and not being treated like human beings, and I just kept thinking to myself, "Yeah, well I'm sure that person you killed (or whatever their crime was) felt the same way except was probably treated even worse by you."
Calvin didn't like the wind too much which I can understand.
After Alcatraz we went to Fisherman's Wharf which was also a lot of fun. We bought a Boudin sourdough clam chowder bread bowl which was very good!

2 comments:
I have been on that tour, but the one we went on was just around the island and not actually "on" the island. I bet that was very neat to walk around inside. And I remember the wind, it was not a cold day when we went, but we all were told to bring sweatshirts with us, and we were VERY glad we did. It gets pretty chilly out there!
I am glad you went to the prison itself. The first time I went to San Francisco, we did a boat ride and I think Chrissy talked about where it just went all around the bay area. We all thought we were going though (being a bunch of teenagers on a choir tour did not help matters.) We were all so bumbed. So two years later our choir director made sure we did the Alcatraz tour. I found it very facinating too. The solitary confinement area was something I just could not imagine being in for a long period of time.
Post a Comment